Saturday, April 1, 2017

Turn Turn Turn. Upt phases one and two complete.



As usual I take too long to write. Too much time has passed. I’m avoiding writing about UPT. It’s too hard. It is always changing. I’m not sure how to help you understand just quite what we are going through because I’m honestly not sure I understand myself.   It started with long hours and studying. At some point they added in flying. From what I can see across his face at the end of every day, it’s thrilling and exhausting. In the way that every dream has come true but every muscle in your body hurts.  He has worked hard and balanced family as best as he can. There is so much more to it.  A fine grit that is not easy to pass through my fingertips to the computer and directly to your heart.   The relationships built are deep and hard.  They will forever feel a little bit more special and sting a little but more.  We have laugh and loved. We have grown and learned. All while the long hours wear us down and plant tiny seeds of hope that one day this training process will be over and we will finally be where we are supposed to be. That’s funny though, because it’s fleeting.  Upt will end but more training will begin. A new assignment, new friends, a new village but again it will be for a season.  Turn turn turn. ( Fade out to The Byrds… I’ll give you a moment).   
KK is finally T6 complete. It was a roller-coaster of sickness and weather but in the end… the thunder held off. Phase two of pilot training ended on the most beautiful day starting with Track select and ending with dinner by the lake with the sun glistening.   I’d love to say that every dream has come true. I’d love to tell you that if you work hard anything is attainable.  Please continue to dream. Continue to work hard even if the dream you think you want never moves from your heart to reality.  Sometimes the dream you think you want isn’t part of the master plan. I will tell you, we seek fervently not the dream we think we want but that our dreams align with, and our hearts have peace in, where Gods plans take us.  There have been more than a few hard examples in our married life where we begged God for something very specific. Something we thought our hearts needed.  Things God did not grant us. I remember one specific time regarding a military assignment that left me in bed for a whole day crying. I thought I knew what I needed, what I wanted. God knew better. In the end, each and every time the road split and we traveled in an unknown direction, with our GPS in our hearts screaming “ROUTE RECALCULATING” the destination was ALWAYS infinitely better than our tiny hearts could have ever imagined.    I know looking back I will see this moment in our life on this same list.  From the moment, I met my soon to be husband, his heart was determined to be a fighter pilot.  I wish I didn’t have to share this. I wish that I could tell you, OF COURSE WE SECRETLY WANTED T1s. I would not be honoring my commitment to honesty here.  He, WE, really wanted T38s( fighter track). We buried the idea deep in our hearts. We treasured it and truly believed if he worked hard it was possible.   There were a series of things that led to this class receiving less fighter track slots than we were expecting. There’s so much that goes into it. The entire class killed it. They worked so hard. So many were deserving.  There just wasn't enough for everyone. Very few active duty slots were ultimately given to this class.  The ones that were, were undeniably deserving of the slots. It’s such an easier blow to take when the people that DID get the slots were the right people. When hard working honorable people finish first it’s hard to be heartbroken about it.  Mourning the loss of a dream in our hearts does not diminish the joy we have for them attaining theirs.   KK received his track to the T1. This track leads to flying bombers and heavies/ cargo planes.  There is sooo much good to be said for this track.  We have many many good friends that are from this type of air-frame and love it so much.  We have taken a brief moment to steady our hearts.  I don’t think that it’s wrong to have a moment to mourn the loss of a dream as we recalculate for the next step. We want to dive head in with excitement and anticipation for the future holds in this new recalculated dream.  

For now, KK will finish out the program here in MS. The plan is to graduate in the fall. At that time. He will sort through the available air-frames and turn in a dreamsheet listing in each air-frame available in the order desired. Many things go into the actual “who gets what” and how the assignments fall but once again we trust in the process and will be at peace with the decision made.   Please pray that we keep that fresh in our hearts. Pray for all the residual life items outside of pilot training. We don’t get to do this thing inside a bubble guarding our hearts from the rest of the things life throws at you. Pray for relationships, health and healing. Pray for focus and rest.   I know that we don’t get the opportunity to connect with all of our family/ friends near and far as often as we should. Please be patient with us as we press on through this training process. We love you even from afar.